The Reyneke estate now includes a total of 37 ha (91 acres) with vines growing on 30 ha of them and animals such as cows, ducks, chickens and guinea fowl on the rest. Since  2004, when biodynamic techniques were established in the vineyard, the pH of the soils has gone from 5.5 to 6 or 6.5, so the pH of the wine has gone down and the total acidity has gone up.

All the Syrah grapes are handpicked and hand sorted; 30% whole bunch is foot crushed into concrete Nomblot tanks, after which the other 70% is destemmed over the whole bunches. Spontaneous, natural fermentation occurs with minimal punch downs and pump over’s. Natural secondary fermentation occurs in 3rd fill and older, French casks and in 2500 ℓ Foudres. The wine ages for 14 months in oak and another 3 months in stainless steel, to harmonise after final blending.

Tasting Notes

The nose is perfumed and complex with upfront red and dark fruit notes and distinct pepper aromatics. The complex nose follows through with spicy undertones. The palate is fresh and vibrant with juicy tannins and well balanced structure. Layers of red fruit, spices and blueberry, gives you an elegant and well refined wine that will want you reaching for another glass.

*Organic/Biodynamic Viticulture